Traffic graphs on Insight shows traffic history divided into smaller time intervals, the length of which depends on the time period selected in the GUI.
There was an update to these graphs on 2018-07-23, which has created confusion to customers; Customers are telling us that they see traffic volume on graphs decrease like the graph shown below:
Let us describe the change we did that caused this behavior:
- The purpose of the change was to address the problem for historical data. If you tried to see the data from the previous month, say 2018-06-01 through 2018-06-30, the graph did not include the data from 06-30 because the graph always omitted the last portion regardless of it being real-time view or historical. Obviously this was a problem (the graph is supposed to show the entire selected period), so we have fixed the problem, and it went live on 2018-07-03.
- However, this change has affected realtime view as well;
Previously, the graphs did not include the last piece of the selected time period. That is, if the selected time period was "Today", assuming the current time is 18:02, the graph showed data from 0:00 - 18:00 only, leaving out 18:00 - 18:02.
The change was done to include the current time in the graphs, so 18:00 - 18:02 portion is now included. This is why you are seeing the graph like the one above.
Since this change has raised questions and concerns from customers, we are planning on revisiting the change. We will let you know when we have updates.
Update on 2018-08-10
We have revisited the change and it now works as follows:
- In real-time view (i.e. the selected time period includes the current time):
- if the time each bar in the chart represents is shorter than 24 hours, the graph does not include the last portion
- if each bar represents a day or longer, the graph DOES include the last portion
- In historical view, the graph always shows the entire selected period
We hope that this update will cause less confusion.