Criteo integration uses the “retargeting” function in Cxense Display, therefore please make sure that you have understood the fundamentals of retargeting, before setting up Criteo. You can read about the retargeting function in Cxense Display here. It might also be good to read a bit about how Criteo works.
To set up Cxense Display with Criteo you will need 2 retargeting campaigns (one for “Tagging” and one for “De-Tagging”), and at least one campaign containing the banner you want to show.
1. Create the “Tagging” and the “De-Tagging” campaign as a 1×1 banner campaigns. Dates should be at least as long as you want to use your integration with Criteo. These campaigns should have “Exclusive” priority levels.
2. For the “Tagging” campaign set the “Retargeting time span” to “One month”, and for the “De-Tagging” campaign set the “Retargeting time span” to “14 days”. Also tick the “Store for retargeting” option for both campaigns. Click “Commit” when you are done.
3. Add an “image creative”, using a 1×1 Image creative in each campaign (as “click-url” enter any url e.g. the url to your own webpage; it will not be used!).
4. These campaigns should not be booked against any content units.
6. Make sure to note BOTH campaign ID numbers. You can see the ID in the 3rd party tag generated. The campaign above has ID “126397”. The ID numbers for your campaigns are very important, you will use them, when targeting your banner campaigns with Criteo.
7. Activate the campaigns.
1. Start by booking the banner campaign as a regular campaign. The banner campaigns can have different formats, but they should ALL use one of the following priority levels: “Exclusive”, “Fixed Weight” or “Available impressions”. The dates are the campaign's run dates, just like any other campaign.
2. Upload the creative you want to show, like in a regular campaign.
3. Add the corresponding content units.
4. Click “targeting”, and scroll down to “Retargeting”. Enter the campaign ID of the “Tagging” campaign under the the retargeting option “Campaigns that user must have seen one of”. AND enter the campaign ID of the “De-Tagging” campaign under the retargeting option “Campaigns that user must have seen none of”.
Optional: When using the priority level “Exclusive”, your campaign will be displayed constantly, if the user has been triggered by the Criteo targeting. To avoid this you can add a frequency targeting to your banner campaign, to limit the number of impressions per user/day/hour.
5. Activate the campaign/campaigns.
You are not using the priority levels: “Exclusive”, “Fixed Weight” or “Available impressions”.
The retargeting option is not activated in your “Network Setup”. Please click “Admin” –> “Network Setup” –> “Targeting Possibilities”; and make sure the “Retargeting” option is ticked off.